The Bukhara museum was established in November 8, 1922. Since 1945, the museum has been situated in the Ark citadel, the former residence of the Bukharan emirs, which is where the main office of the museum is located.
In 1985, the museum received the status of the Bukhara State Art-Architectural Museum-Preserve. The museum-preserve consists of six branches, including 18 permanent exhibitions placed in the architectural monuments.
In the depositories of the museum-preserve, there are over 100,000 objects, representing the material and spiritual culture of the region.